NASA takes accountability for Starliner's botched flight, assigns 'Type A mishap' label
On Thursday, February 19, during a press conference, NASA outlined the findings from the Program Investigation Team, which looked into the Boeing CST-100 Starliner Crewed Flight Test (CFT) that left astronauts Sunita Williams and Butch Wilmore stranded on the International Space Station (ISS).
During the presser, NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman took accountability on behalf of the agency, accepting the fact that while Boeing built Starliner, it was NASA who allowed it to carry two astronauts into space. "The technical difficulties encountered during docking with the International Space Station were very apparent," he said. "Beyond technical issues, it is clear that NASA permitted overarching programmatic objectives of having two providers capable of transporting astronauts to-and-from orbit, influencing engineering and operational decisions, especially during and immediately after the mission. We are correcting those mistakes. Today, we are formally declaring a Type A mishap and ensuring leadership accountability so situations like this never reoccur."
For the uninitiated, NASA defines a 'Type A mishap' as one that could result in crew fatality or damage of $2,000,000, among other things. While the vehicle did lose maneuverability during its approach towards the International Space Station, control was regained before docking, and neither of the astronauts sustained any injuries. However, NASA's decision to use the 'Type A' label shows that it recognizes that the situation could have caused more harm than it did.
The investigation claims that a combination of factors—poor decision-making from the leadership, hardware failures, qualification gaps, and even cultural issues—was what led to a situation that was not in line with NASA's safety standards. Since Starliner's return 18 months ago, NASA has been working in tandem with Boeing to pinpoint the technical root cause. As for the independent Program Investigation Team, it was chartered by the agency in February last year. The report of the investigation was completed in November 2025.
Starliner was launched on June 5, 2024, carrying astronauts Barry ‘Butch’ Wilmore and Sunita Williams for a planned 8-14 day ISS mission. It was extended to 93 days because propulsion system anomalies were identified while the spacecraft was still nestled in orbit. After conducting thorough ground tests and examinations at White Sands Test Facility, New Mexico, NASA decided to return the spacecraft uncrewed in September 2024. Astronauts Wilmore and Williams, now retired, were brought back to Earth much later aboard a SpaceX Crew-9 Dragon spacecraft on March 18, 2025.
"NASA will continue to work closely with Boeing to fully understand and solve the technical challenges with the Starliner vehicle alongside incorporating the investigative recommendations before flying the next mission," a NASA press release stated. Boeing, meanwhile, has stated that the Starliner program will continue and that the findings of the report will aid the company in ensuring crew safety in the future. "In the 18 months since our test flight, Boeing has made substantial progress on corrective actions for technical challenges we encountered and driven significant cultural changes across the team that directly align with the findings in the report," the company said in a statement.
LIVE: We're discussing the findings of investigations into the 2024 crewed test flight of Boeing Starliner to the International Space Station. https://t.co/99roTJ8XAA
— NASA (@NASA) February 19, 2026
This ordeal opens our eyes to much bigger issues, exposing the vulnerabilities of commercial partnerships with something as delicate as human spaceflight. Speaking of Williams and Wilmore. NASA Associate Administrator Amit Kshatriya said, "We failed them."
More on Starlust
NASA 'trailblazer' Sunita Williams retires: Here's a look at her record-breaking career